Marketing presents specific and unique challenges to the introverted business owner.
First and foremost, marketing requires you to be outgoing. You have to talk to people that you might otherwise choose not to.
It also requires that you spend time in a public sphere – on the public stage telling people what you are doing in your business, why it’s important, and why they need it. While that’s essential to making sales so you can build your business… it’s also waaaaay outside the comfort zone of your standard introvert.
I mean – just getting on the public stage is intimidating. And now you have to talk about yourself? The last place an introvert wants to be is in the spotlight and marketing just makes the spotlight brighter and tighter.
But here’s the thing: You own a business. That business needs to make sales to succeed. Which means people need to know about it and also be interested in what you have to offer. The need to see how it would help them in some way to make a purchase from you.
So not only do you need to tell them about it… you need to do so in a way that helps drive sales!
How are you going to do that if the last place you want to be is the spotlight?
That’s what “marketing like an introvert” is all about.
Now I’m not saying you’re not going to be in the spotlight. And I’m not saying it isn’t going to be uncomfortable… at first.
What I am saying is that it’s possible to find a way to do it that is also in alignment with who you are and how you show up in this world.
It is possible to market your business and also honor your introverted style. You can choose to show up as your authentically introverted self rather than trying to pretend you’re an extrovert. You just have to select a marketing strategy that fits your introverted style.
But what does that look like? Good question. There’s a lot buried in behind these ideas, and I go into them in detail in the video below.
If you want to jump to some key points in the video, here are some timestamps to note:
- Presentation begins around the 2-3 minute mark (This was my first time using Ecamm with slides so there’s a bit of celebration when I get it right.)
- The opening question and the ideas tucked in behind it that we get into in this video (4:00)
- What does it mean to “Honor your introverted style”? (5:30)
- What does “Choose to be the introvert” mean? (12:00)
- What’s the difference between “pretend to be an extrovert” vs “exhibiting behaviors that are usually attributed to an extrovert” (12:30)
- Select a marketing strategy that fits your introverted marketing style (17:00)
- The four elements that help you show up as an introvert (20:30)
- Introvert / Extrovert spectrum (21:00)
- How introverts prefer to communicate (29:00)